Building a Brand called – YOU
“All of us need to understand the importance of branding. We are CEOs of our own companies: Me Inc. To be in business today, our most important job is to be head marketer for the brand called You.” – Tom Peters in Fast Company
Whether you want to sell products, gain subscribers, draw followers, attract recruiters & hiring managers then you’ve got to build a brand for yourself to reach out to these people. Why would someone who hasn’t met you, interacted with you ever want to connect with you on a social (professional) networking platform. Your ability to encourage any of the above mentioned actions comes from your professional brand — and one of the best ways to build that is through the savvy use of social media.
We are sharing a few tips in a series of 3 articles, where we will give out tips on how you can set yourself apart from the competition, build your professional brand and create an impressive for yourself within the industry you work in.
The first article in this series will focus on Getting started – Why’s & How’s. Why you can’t ignore social media and How Do I Start
Let’s get started with WHY YOU CAN’T IGNORE SOCIAL MEDIA
- It’s free – You don’t have to invest a penny to build your professional brand as most of the social networking sites are free to a great extent. All you need to invest in some time.
- Using filters, hashtags, LinkedIn Groups makes it easier to connect with people from your industry
- It allows you to reach out to millions of people cutting across geographical boundaries
- Project yourself as a thought leader within your network. Showcase your expertise, knowledge and experience using SM tools. Reach out to Senior Execs within your industry, Hiring Managers, Recruiters as well as Journalists
HOW DO I START?
We have listed a few questions you need to ask yourself which will help you form a great foundation for your professional branding strategy. When you answer these questions you will slowly start putting together a great plan to build your professional brand name
- Why create a professional brand?
- Be visible- Social Media gives you visibility, it gives you a platform to showcase your knowledge, expertise and opinion beyond the four walls of your cubicle. The more visible you are on social networking sites the more opportunities you are exposed to
- Network – Building your network in your industry. There may not be an immediate intention of a job change. However, you may look at networking, knowledge sharing, understanding the views and opinions other professionals have about the various trends in your industry as well as to keep yourself updated on the latest trends.
- Job Opportunities – Building your professional brand is like controlling your career as well as the way you are perceived in your industry. Networking with hiring managers, decision makers, understanding industry hiring trends and voicing your opinions about these trends that affect your industry will help you attract recruiters and hiring managers and build your relation with them. So if there is a job opportunity that they are hiring for, they may directly approach you for it.
- Long term goal of Entrepreneurship – People love reading success stories of founders, how they failed and yet dint stop. Social Media platforms give aspiring entrepreneurs this platform to tell their story and market themselves. Establish yourself as a thought leader, an expert and build a strong network of future clients
- Who are my target audiences – Industry leaders, Hiring Managers, Senior Managers, HR, Recruiters, potential clients (entrepreneurship), journalists
- Where will you find them – LinkedIN, Twitter
- What are they talking about? Are they speaking about Industry trends, Hiring trends, News that will impact their industry, generic corporate trends, market research etc. Use these kind of topics to build your brand, have an opinion on issues that will impact the industry you work within
- Why would someone read my content? Your USP is your years of experience in your industry, the knowledge you’ve accumulated all these years, your understanding of how the industry functions, your ability to sense the pulse of the industry and the way you share this kind of information is by expressing your views through thought driven content. Poeple love reading thought driven, informative literature.
- Where would I get content ideas from? News, Articles, Blogs, Books, conversations with other professionals from your industry use this as an inspiration.
If you are seeking a new job or business prospects you may want to focus on optimizing your LinkedIn profile. Depending on the kind of objectives, you may then focus on maintaining a presence on platforms that will help you to reach the right target audience and build a name for yourself in the industry.
The more specific you are, the more your focus on your niche, the better it is as it will help you reach out to the right people and stand out from the crowd.
Tags: Antal Advice, Antal India, Antal International, branding, Career, Career Advice, Career Coach, Career Goals, Executive Headhunters, Executive Hiring, Executive Recruiters, Executive Recruitment, Executive Search, Hiring, job change, Mid & Senior Level, Mid & Senior Level Executive Recruitment, Mid & Senior Level Hiring, Mid & Senior Level Recruitment, Mid & Senior Level Search Firm, Mid Level Hiring, Mid Level Management, Social Media, social media hiring
About Antal India Recruitment BlogFounded in 1993, Antal International is a global Executive Recruitment firm with 120 offices in more than 30 countries We work with professional and managerial talent worldwide. works with many of the world’s most successful and ambitious employers. In January 2007 Antal International established the first office in India, which led to the opening of 38 offices in 14 cities. In 2013, Antal named Joseph Devasia as its Managing Director for Antal International Network, India – the man who brought Antal to India 9 years ago. Antal India today has 100+ consultants working across offices in India filling more than 3000 assignments at the mid – senior level. Antal India today has offices specialising in various industries like FMCG/CD, Ecommerce, IT, Pharma, Auto, Engineering, Manufacturing, Real Estate, Construction, Retail, Oil & Gas, Aerospace, Defence. Clients: Over the past 22 years, Antal has worked with over several thousand clients making 60,000 placements. Antal extensive network of offices and deep market expertise is what sets Antal apart from its competitors. To know more about us – www.antal.com
- Associate Your Recruitment Business with a Global Brand & Strengthen your Position in the Global Market.
- Facing challenges while building your recruitment business?
- 5 Things to Do Before Your Next Job Interview
- Antal’s Top 5 Consultants Tell You How to Avoid Being Blacklisted by Recruiters
- Candidates looking for ‘sense of purpose’ in their next career move