An Interview with Mohan Pandalai, Managing Partner, Bangalore – Whitefield
This month we interview Mohan Pandalai, Managing Partner at our office in Bangalore – Whitefield. He has over 25 years of experience in Human Resources, Finance, Business Analytics and IT. He was Associate Vice President of Scope International (a fully owned subsidiary of Standard Chartered Bank) and was responsible for Global HR Operations and Reporting. He has also worked with IT companies like Oracle and AOL, so can focus on BFSI and IT verticals making this his area of strength. His specialized discipline areas are Human Resources, Finance and IT.
Mohan joined Antal a year ago along with his wife Panchami who has a PhD in genetics and several years of experience in research and teaching. Panchami enjoys speaking to people about their career and in turn guides them to mould their careers. Once she joined Mohan in his recruitment business, she realized she would have a lot of opportunity to engage with people and guide them onto a bright future
Mohan’s specializes in the IT & BSFI sector with special focus in Finance, HR and Banking
• Why did you choose recruitment franchise business? What are the good things about working in the recruitment industry?
I have been working with corporates for quite some time (almost 25 years), but I always wanted to do something of my own. I found recruitment as one of most interesting professions, where I could still interact with people as well as earn some money. Also this opportunity would keep me away from the late night back-2-back calls and allow me to spend time quality with my family.
• How did you hear about Antal International? And what made you pick Antal of all the choices you had?
Initially, I started off on my own, I had a few friends who supported me and helped me get few clients and candidates. A few weeks later I learnt about Antal International through Mr. Vinu Nair – Antal Managing Partner Chennai (I was introduced to him through his sister, who is my wife’s friend). Post that, I visited the Antal website and contacted the Antal Franchise Team.
• How were your initial days in the business? What are the challenges you faced and how did you overcome them
The induction & training with Ms. Shinu Javed (Franchise Training Manager) helped a lot and hence the initial struggle was much easier to handle. There are challenges in this extremely highly competitive industry – hurdles like getting clients on board, agreeing on the fees is challenging. However Antal’s training and support has helped to overcome this challenge successfully.
• When did you make your first placement?
The first placement was quite easy, but after that there was some gap, but now it is going good. I have closed 5 positions with them 3 joined and other 2 to join in Jul / Aug. There 3 positions the interview at last stage of which is VP and another SVP.
• What are your plans for the next years?
Next year too far away. With the current progress and God’s grace, I am sure I will be able to do better. Plans for the next year will begin in September.
• What do you like most about Antal?
The continuous training and support. Even the Next Level Exchange has opened many horizons for me.
• What is the key advice you would give to other prospective franchisees that are considering this kind of self-employment?
Antal will give you all the training, support, which is one of the best in the world. No other franchise model will give you this. Shinu (Franchise Training Manager), Joe(Managing Director), Gina(PR) are all available for any support you even after the initial training program is over. Also the huge network who are ready to support you in need. Now it is up to us to use this and move ahead.
• What’s you fitness mantra? Am I fit?.. some disciplines which I brought to my life, exercise, timely food and early to bed and early to rise. I go to sleep by 10 pm and get up at 4:30 am
• Tell us something about your family: My wife and two little angels.
• How do you balance your professional & personal life? My work-life balance has come true when I joined Antal. Here I can plan my day and there is no surprise meetings / calls etc. I am the boss I plan my future.
• Which is your favorite holiday destination? Manali. The lovely snow covered mountain range Yak ride etc. It is really wonderful.
• Your Hobbies: I watch news channels whenever I can and playing with my children
• What keeps you motivated to do the same job every day? I don’t think I do the same job every day. Each position / opportunity I work on is different and each candidate I meet / talk to is different. Where do you get such variety and challenging options? Even the DM’s are different. It is always how I perceive it.